Tuesday, April 27, 2010

6 Logan Circle: The Commissary


I've gone out to eat at the trendy Logan Circle area a few times but never off 14th Street. Although P Street also has its good share of food establishments, I haven't made it to any (The huge Whole Foods in the middle of the block might have overshadowed the restaurants surrounding it). JR and I planned on catching a show at Studio Theatre one day so I thought that it would be a good opportunity to explore where's good to eat on P Street. We went for the Commissary.



As I stepped in, I wondered whether this place was a bar, a restaurant, or a cafĂ©. The Commissary combined all three under one roof – Americana restaurant at its best. The crowd seemed diverse and the ambiance was cool. It's the kind of place where you can grab a beer with your friend then move to the sofas to plug in your laptops and chill.
The menu was written on big boards that decorated the restaurant walls but we opted for checking out what the Commissary has to offer on their normal table menu.


We started off with the Guacamole & Salsa with Chips. They were just fine. They actually made me nostalgic for the excellent guacamole I had with some friends at Rosa Mexicano a few weeks ago (which so far, is the best guacamole I had in DC). The portion was also small and we were left with no more salsa nor guacamole for the extra tortilla chips early on throughout the appetizer :(



The Bowtie Pasta with Broccoli & Andouille Sausage looked really good but JR beat me to it – He decided the moment we walked into the restaurant :) It was really really good! The pasta was hot and moist, the sausage savory, and the broccoli on the side was buttery with just the right amount of salt. It was so good that the "one bite" I requested from JR ended up being two, three, four…you get the idea.



I am not a burger person and I don't usually order burgers unless someone recommends it, but I saw the Goat Cheese & Sun-Dried Tomato Burger and thought it might be delicious (see, I'm not a burger person). I actually thought that the burger was vegetarian but the beef patty was topped with goat cheese and sun-dried tomatoes (or more accurately, a small piece of one sun-dried tomato). As I took a big bite out of the burger I was able to taste all the ingredients but the sun-dried tomatoes. It wasn't till I reached the very center that I got a taste the tangy yummy-ness of the tomato. But to be honest, the combination of all ingredients did not do anything for me. It was anti-climactic.



JR was craving for something sweet so he got a piece of the Apple Pie with a
Scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream. It seemed to satisfy his craving but the "one bite" that I promised to take didn't make it to the second. The pie was just fine.

I don't know whether I'll make it back to the Commissary or not. It's definitely a convenient place to grab dinner at before seeing a show at Studio Theatre (or grabbing a drink afterward) but I personally have had more memorable dining experiences at other places around Logan Circle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dishter Updates

    follow me on Twitter