Wednesday, March 31, 2010

6 Logan Circle: That Face

After eating at the Commissary on P St, Sam and I caught the closing performance of That Face at Studio Theatre.

A theatre friend of mine, Zehra, was in it and I always love seeing her perform. But even if she wasn't in it, the piece was compelling in and of itself. I was actually written by a young playwright, Polly Stenham, who dropped out of University to finish writing this particular play, when she was still a teenager.

The piece went and lived across the line of comfort for most people, and personally had me torn between feelings of pity to...well, from lack of a better word, "ickiness".

It's a bit of a tragedy that revolves around miscommunication or plain lack of communication.

And it just had a degree of rawness which was actually relieving to experience on stage. It was also performed in one of Studio Theatre's smaller spaces, to begin with. I don't believe it would've had a similar effect in a larger venue.

If you haven't seen a production at Studio, I recommend you do. It's also an interesting time for the organization, as its going through a transition this year; the Founding Artistic Director, Joy Zinoman, is passing on the torch after 30 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dishter Updates

    follow me on Twitter