JR picked me up from work after a long day to go and see Synetic's production of Kafka's Metamorphosis at the Rosslyn Spectrum Theatre. I was mentally exhausted after a stressful day at work so I left the restaurant decision to JR. I told him that I'm in the mood for something light and healthy so he had a great idea to grab sushi at Tomo Sushi.
We walked in Tomo as it was closing but the staff was kind enough to accommodate our quick order. We didn't want to exploit their kindness so we decided to take our sushi back home. Plus, I thought my apartment was more Japanese-y than the restaurant (the setting and décor of Tomo was nothing special).
I started boiling water for green tea and Miso soup as soon as we got home. Both were warm and soothing – very satisfying especially for a rainy day. We started munching on the Edamame and I thought that they were fun, moist, and very good to eat between every sip of tea.
I'm not that big of a sushi person and the year I spent in Japan did not even change that. Sushi snobs cringe at the sight of Californian Rolls, but I say bring 'em on! Tomo Sushi also offered NY Rolls and Philadelphia Rolls, but at the end of the day, I really didn't see any difference between a roll and another – they all tasted alike. We also ordered some simple and "traditional" sushi – the Egg Sushi was my personal favorite. The egg offered a pleasant sweetness and the seaweed that tied the egg to the sushi rice was nice and slightly crunchy.
JR and I decided not to write about restaurants from which we do take-out but this was an exception since we wanted to be considerate of their closing time, and leave as soon as we got our order. I don't know though whether I would've enjoyed the experience if we ate at Tomo Sushi. As I previously mentioned, there was nothing special about the place. It was also nice to go back home and chill, especially after the intense Kafka play. Back at my small, cozy DC apartment, we had our Korean-made Japanese food while Bob Marley was grooving in the background. It was perfect. Sorry Kafka… but life is beautiful.
No comments:
Post a Comment